This page explains how to use PGP with Enigmail to let you unencrypt messages sent by wp2pgpmail. Enigmail is not the only solution to unencrypt emails, you can explore the comparison table on the About PGP page.
The whole installation process is explained in detail on the Enigmail project website at this page : Enigmail Quick Start Guide
Here a summary on installation steps.
GnuPG allows to encrypt and decrypt communication with PGP.
- Installing GnuPG on Microsoft Windows : http://www.gnupg.org/download/index.en.html
- Installing GnuPG on Macintosh OS X : http://www.gpgtools.org/installer/index.html
- Installing GnuPG on UNIX : most Linux distributions today include GnuPG by default !
Mozilla Thunderbird is a free and open source email client. You can get it at http://www.getthunderbird.com/
Enigmail is a plug-in for Thunderbird that lets Thunderbird interface seamlessly with GnuPG.
- Download the lastest version of Enigmail at http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download/ and save it on your computer.
Thunderbird and Firefox both use the .XPI extension for their plug-ins, so if you are using Firefox, Firefox will think you’re asking it to install Enigmail as a Firefox plug-in ; this will not work, instead, right-click on the link and choose Save link as…
- In the window of Thunderbird, click : Tools => Add-ons
- This will bring up a new window listing all of your Thunderbird plug-ins. In the lower left-hand corner of this new window you will see a button marked Install. Click this button.
- Tell Thunderbird where you saved the Enigmail .XPI file.
How to use Enigmail
- Creating Your First Keypair : Enigmail Quickstart Guide – Chapter 2. Creating Your First Keypair
- Sending encrypted emails : Enigmail Quickstart Guide – Chapter 3. Hello, World!
How to use wp2pgpmail
Import your PGP public key to wp2pgpmail
To start with wp2pgpmail, you must first import your PGP public key in the wp2pgpmail WordPress tab.
- To get your public key, from Thunderbird windows, click OpenPGP => Key Management
- Look for your own key
- Right-click Copy Public Keys to Clipboard
- Paste it to the wp2pgpmail WordPress tab
- Submit it ; your key should now be imported, and wp2pgpmail is ready to work.
Displaying the wp2pgpmail form
Paste the shortcode inside any page of your WordPress website to display the wp2pgpmail form :
for the Standard Edition (Free)
for the Pro Edition
When a visitor use the wp2pgpmail form from your WordPress website, you will receive an encrypted email. Enigmail will automatically decrypt it.